How to prevent an uneven ratio of Following to Followers on Twitter
When you are starting out on Twitter, following 2001 other accounts on Twitter, seems something you don’t need to think about, however if you try to keep your folllowing/follower ratio roughly 1:1 it will save you time later on. Here are the magic numbers that Twitter has set to stop spammers, once you are following 2001 people on Twitter you won’t be able to follow anyone else until you have 1819 followers and then after that you can only follow 10% more people than are following you.
For example if you have 2,000 followers you will be able to follow upto 2,200 people.
How can you keep a ratio of 1:1
- Firstly make sure your profile is up to date with a picture and good bio describing you and what you tweet about, this will help people to see you as a real person/business not a spammer, so more people are likely to follow you back.
- Start by following people you already know and who know you
- Follow and engage with people on networking hours, such as #Lincshour or #Womeninbiz, by following and engaging with people that are active on Twitter you will quickly build a friendly network of followers that will engage with you and may retweet your tweets.
- Being seen to be actively involved in conversations on Twitter will also help you to be seen by others and show you as someone that is friendly and approachable rather than someone who is only their to promote themselves.
- Follow people who are interested in similiar things to you.
When starting out on Twitter alot of people get involved in follow back events, I’ll follow you in the hope you will follow me. This is okay if all you care about are the number of followers you have, however it doesn’t build a network of interested and engaged followers.
In 2014 I will be launching my Social Media Online Training course, which will train people to use Twitter & Pinterest to grow their business by building a community of engaged followers that love what you do and share it with their community. Sign up to my email newsletter to find out more and be able to join at a incredible price only available to my newsletter subscribers.
If you have found this useful please share it with your community.