I have recently started doing more in person networking and on Monday went to my second WiRE Lincoln networking meeting at the Epic Centre at the Lincolnshire Showground. I made the effort to go even though I had lots on that day, as Deborah Lee was talking about Twitter, 3 steps to Social Media Fame.
I have been following @debsylee about as long as I have been on Twitter with my first account @GreenAspiration mainly due to the fact she was based in Lincolnshire and looked to be using Twitter regularly. She kindly followed me back, which when you are starting out on Twitter means a lot. At present Deborah has 140,000 Followers and earlier this year was included in the Forbes Top 20 Women Social Media Influencer List 2013 followed by the Forbes Top 50 Social Media Influencers 2013 (men and women). Deborah started out on Twitter in May 2009 and attributes her success on Twitter to being consistent, authentic, helpful, generous and positive, and focusing on quality engagement. In Deborah’s opinion numbers do matter and believes she would not have been in the Forbes list if she had only 4,000 followers, however you also need quality engagement and to communicate with other Twitter users. I also believe you have to share quality content, which Deborah does in her Tweets and on her blog. Some more of Deborah’s tips include:
- Know why you are on Twitter and in Deborah’s opinion that should be to achieve fame in your field of expertise, so show that you are knowledgeable and good at what you do.
- Allocate time to Twitter every day and be consistent with when you are on Twitter, same time everyday.
- Do not expect overnight success
- Focus on the connections that you make
- Profiles are everything so put effort into writing yours and have a professional photo taken
- Never get drawn into online arguments
- Aim high – don’t limit yourself
- Be sassy
- Follow back, unless the account looks like a spammer, you never know who is going to want to work with you or who will retweet you.
Find out more information about Deborah Lee on her blog and website.
There were other fantastic business women at the networking meeting including:
- Sarah Ray, who is Listers new Fleet Manager
- Naomi Jane Johnson, who runs Purrfectly Social and is a Wikaniko consultant
- Mel Downing who is a homeopath and helps dogs with behavioural problems
- Julie Bailey from Andrew & Co Solicitors, who is head of the Family Team
- Lorraine Bellis of Bellis Perennis, who trains people how to grow their own veg
- Sandra Bird of An Shen Acupuncture helping people to feel better
- Rebecca Smith from Working Links who helps people get into work.
- Zoe of Epix Media Ltd for business videos especially timelapse
- Emma McDaid- Smith of My Live Well World who offers flexible working opportunities based around selling Aloe vera and bee hive products
- Rachel Linstead of Firecracker, a business improvement specialist and nutritional therapist.
- And me Jackie Elton of Social Media Lincs and Green Aspirations selling environmental and ethical gifts.
I love networking, especially as you can get to know people and their businesses. Do you prefer to network in person or online?
If you like to network in person and live in Lincolnshire why not come to the next WiRE Lincoln meeting on Monday 19th August 10am – 12pm at the Epic Centre on the Lincolnshire Showground nr Lincoln.