What is Social Media Marketing?
When I searched for “What is Social Media Marketing?” in Google the first result I got was this definition from Wikipedia.org, which is a simple description of Social Media Marketing. In this article I will tell you what I think Social Media Marketing is, the benefits of Social Media Marketing for your business, some common mistakes that some businesses make and how to avoid them.
I think this definition is part of the reason why more businesses don’t use social media marketing, as it seems to be saying that it is for businesses that have a website and are based online, I believe all businesses can use social media to increase awareness of their business from small independent shops in villages and towns to large businesses.
Social media marketing should be part of every business’s marketing strategy. Social media should be a part of your marketing whether you have a website or not, and for those businesses that don’t have a website, it is essential to have a good presence on social media so that people can find your business if they search online.
Social media marketing uses various different social media sites to promote your business and services to other businesses, existing clients and prospective customers via two way communication. Social media marketing should not be used to just broadcast your promotional updates, special offers and buy now messages. You need to be sharing quality content and information that is so useful or entertaining to your customers and ideal clients, that they share it on their favourite social media networks recommending your business or products to their friends, family and followers, thereby amplifying your marketing for you.
Benefits of Social Media Marketing
Here are some of the benefits to social media marketing:
- You are in control of what content you share and in what format that goes out. For example if you share some marketing content and the results for that content aren’t good, then you can change it and try something different, without having to wait till you can change an advert in a magazine or on the radio.
- Social media marketing is one of the most affordable ways to market your business and products, if you learn how it works and how to do it well.
- You can use social media marketing even if you don’t have a website. In fact a well thought out Facebook business page can be used to provide some of the information you would have on a website such as opening times, contact details, address, products and services you provide etc.
- Social media marketing is a great way to increase brand awareness and connect with other businesses and ideal clients.
Common mistakes businesses make with social media marketing:
- They assume that just because their business isn’t on social media that nobody will be talking about their business on social media, big mistake. People could be talking about your business, you just don’t know what they are saying, whether it is good or bad.
- Businesses do not have a social media strategy, they don’t know what their goals are or what to measure to see if they are meeting those goals.
- Being on the wrong social media site for their business
- Being on lots of social media sites but not doing any of them well or strategically
- Broadcasting their business message rather than having two way conversations with their followers
- Automating everything and not ever being on social media
- Sharing mediocre content rather than original top quality content that stands out
- Having a social media strategy but not integrating it with the business’s main marketing plan
There are many other mistakes businesses make on social media but most mistakes can be avoided by getting appropriate training and having a social media marketing strategy in place.
If you would like to work with me to create a social media strategy for your business or you would like training on a certain social media site please get in touch via my contacts page.